The Many Benefits of Doing Calgary Kitchen Renovations
So you’re thinking of doing some kitchen renovations but you’re not sure what the benefit will be? There are a lot of great benefits that come with doing kitchen renovations, beginning with the value that the renovations will add to your home. The cost of Calgary kitchen renovations will vary depending on a number of factors, including how old your house is, how old your appliances are, and whether or not there are any sanitary or health issues involved in remodeling your kitchen. Your renovations will also be restrained (or liberated, as the case may be) by the size of your budget. However, regardless of the size of your budget here are some benefits that redoing your kitchen will have.
#1 – Renovations will clean your kitchen. This might sound like a bit of a banal benefit, but the truth is, it’s important. Many kitchens harbour unknown moulds and contagions that only renovation can properly clean and abolish for good.
#2 – It will increase the appeal and value of your home. Kitchens are one of the most important parts of the home to a potential buyer. This is proven both by the enormous amount of money that North American citizens spend on kitchen renovations each year, as well as by the continual evidence of women who, when they first enter a home, ask to see the kitchen. Doing some work on your kitchen will increase the value and sale-ability of your home by quite a wide margin.
#3 – It can reorient the style of your house. Doing some work on your kitchen could allow you to move around some of the rooms in your house. Renovating your kitchen might make your kitchen larger or convert spaces near the kitchen, thus freeing up other spaces of the house. Renovating your kitchen could make you start thinking creatively about how you want your house to look and feel, and could prompt other renovations that will increase both your quality of life, and the resale value of your home.
#4 – Kitchen renovations will increase the overall appeal of your home. You might be more inclined to have guests over or to invite someone over to cook in your home, because you can now be proud of how your kitchen looks. If you’ve had an old kitchen or a kitchen that hasn’t been up to present standards, it can be embarrassing. You might find yourself making excuses for your kitchen when you have company. Renovating your kitchen will take all of that stress away and have you feeling great about the most important room in your house.
Doing Calgary kitchen renovations is smart, and highly beneficial, and whether you plan to do them yourself or hire a professional, the important thing is to know what you want and go after it.
Questions To Ask Prior To Hiring A Calgary Kitchen Renovator
When renovating, you can avoid serious problems with contractors with planning and insight, and by asking prospective contractors a short series of questions that will lead you to hiring the right person. It’s important to remember that anytime you are having renovations done or have a work crew into your home, you are opening up an important space to these people, and you need to find professionals that can respect your home, respect you and respect the work that they’re doing on your behalf.
1) The first question you can ask a contractor is: do you have any references? You want to know right away if the contractor is going to provide testimonials and access to some of his previous work. A good contractor will be eager to hook you up with his references, and show you what he has done in the past, because a good contractor will have a clean track record, a reputation for doing quality work at affordable prices, and will have nothing to fear from being completely transparent about past work.
2) Next, arrive at a budget and talk with your contractor about it. It’s good to start having discussions with your potential contractor about things like your budget and the design-plans that you might have, as this will begin to establish a working relationship between the two of you, enabling a collaborative atmosphere to be fostered and improving the chances that everything goes well between you. Pay attention to how receptive your contractor is “teaming up” with you on things like this. The easier it is to have these talks the better.
3) Start working on timelines. Good contractors are oriented around their schedules, and know how to accurately estimate how long a job is going to take. While there is always room for a little flexibility, it’s satisfying to have a timeline set up so that you can track the progress of the work, and can know when things are going to take shape inside your home.
4) Ask about warranties. It’s best if the renovations are warrantied, and most contractors shouldn’t have an issue with this. Nevertheless, so that you’re protected, it’s crucial to ask, not just about the work at large, but about the warranties that come with specific materials and how long you can expect things to hold up.
5) Permits. If the size of your renovations project is particularly large, you’ll need to ask your contract whether or not permits are necessary, and if so, if he’ll have an easy time securing one. The laws are different depending on the city that you live in. Calgary has recently instituted new land use bylaws which means contractors have got to be up-to-date on all the recent developments.
So long as you take time to do careful planning, and make whoever you hire your partner in realizing the success of your renovations, the entire process should progress easily. Have the self-discipline to stick to your plans, to interview all prospective contractors, and to see the job through to the end. You’ll quickly find that things are going your way.