Having water damage in your home is an emergency situation but you were aware of that when you first discovered the water. You probably already know that water is destructive to your belongings. However, most people don’t think about the bacteria and pathogens that start to grow in the water after 3-5 days and the risk of mold if left untreated for too long. The sooner the cleanup process begins, the better chance you have of recovering all your belongings that have been affected by the water damage. It doesn’t take long for the destructive effects of water to start wreaking havoc on your home and your belongings.
When water damage occurs in your house, there are 5 important ways to proceed that help you to eliminate more damage from occurring.
1. Stop the Water from Source:
Water damage occurs in your home in many different ways and the reality is that most of the time they are completely preventable. The only situations that water damage and mold is unpreventable are when it’s the effect of a natural disaster like a overflow or a hurricane or whenever a water drip is hidden in the wall. First rung on the ladder ought to be to stop this particular at source such that it helps in reduction from more severe water damage and mold.
2. Remove Water from Flooded Rooms:
Removing water from all the flooded rooms is essential part of water damage restoration process. it should be faster where possible because if we restore rooms fast there will be more chances to prevent bigger losses and damages. A couple of two rooms at home that are particularly in danger for water damage and mold and they are your kitchen and the toilet, since there is a sizable amount of water that passes through these available rooms every day, particularly if you have lots of family coping with you. The toilet is the most vulnerable to both of these rooms, though, and you ought to make caring for it important.
3. Cut-Off Electricity Supply to Water Damaged Home:
Cutting-Off electricity supply in water damaged home is one of the important step taken by professional home restoration specialist because it may cause more damage due to electricity shocks. You should turn off all your electric appliances like fridge, machines, kitchen appliances, computers and all others. If possible cut-off main electricity supply to prevent your home from more damage.
4. Collect Water Damage Proofs to Claim Insurance:
Before starting restoration process, you should take some pictures and videos to show the insurance company during claiming process. Professional water damage restoration companies also provide you estimate of loss during water damage and help you to collect all proofs for insurance claim and handle all the legal things professionally.
5. Steps to Hire the Best Water Damage Company:
No one wants to deal with water damage nor the hostile effects that come soon after. Water damage should to be dealt with within the shortest time possible to prevent any more damage from happening. The process of rescuing valuables, cleaning and restoring the house or office can be too much for anyone. You however do not have to deal with all these as there are professional companies that can handle the cleanup process much better. All you need to do is look out for a water damage and restoration company to do this for you.
A simple research will reveal many companies that offer flood and water damage restoration. Finding an appropriate one to use in this case may be daunting to many people. Discussed below are a few steps to help you find the best suited company to hire.
- Window shop for several companies: This should be the first step in your hunt for the best company to hire. A short list of more than 4 companies to interview gives you a better chance of finding the right and most appropriate company for the job. You can find these companies online through their company websites, in company directories and through refers too.
- Check for licensing and Services provides: With your shortlist at hand, research on each company to find out more about additional services offered, charges and accreditation. Be sure to look out whether each of these companies is licensed and qualified to offer services to the public. If need be, check if it is listed among the IICRC which a governing body in textile, flooring and upholstery cleaning exercises.
- Check out reviews and experience: Experience does matter a lot in every service provider, and so are customer reviews. Check to see the number of years each company has been in operation, and if customers served within that period are satisfied. Customers can leave a review of their personal experience with a water damage company upon using it, and this is reliable information that can help you find a good one.
- Budget: The company you find appropriate for the job should be able to work with your budget too. You can request for a more personalized quote to find out more about their charges and if you can afford the same.
Now, its your turn to share this helpful post on social media with your friends and give them awareness about unwanted situations like water damages, fire damages and their recovery method. I hope you all enjoying our home recovery series of posts from last week. Stay tuned for more interesting posts coming toward you related to home improvement and decoration.